Who We've Helped
Current and Recent Clients|
- Common Current's Warren Karlenzig is leading executive urban planning and design workshops for Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) on "Urban Game Changers for a Sustainable, Resilient China"
- Common Current is advising the World Bank on China's new nation-wide program for Low Carbon Eco-City standards and indicators.
- Common Current is working with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in conjunction with the China Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development (MoHURD). Common Current is helping LBNL and MoHURD develop a methodology and Low-Carbon Eco-City Assessment Tool for application throughout China's 600 cities in planning, designing, financing and managing city development (new + retrofits).
For the United Nations Center for Regional Development in conjunction with the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Common Current is helping lead community seminars, fact-finding and recommendations in Tohoku, Japan (region impacted by earthquake and tsunami of March, 2011) regarding green economy reconstruction strategies.
- For the Global Forum on Human Settlements and the Guizhou Province of China, in conjunction with the United Nations Environment Programme, Common Current is helping create Standards and Indicators for the development of new and retrofitted Ecocities.
- Common Current will provide training for Asian city mayors on sustainability and information and communications technologies (ICT), and on sustainable urban economic transformation, at the United Nations Centre for Regional Development in Nagoya, Japan. Mayors and leaders of 22 cities from 15 nations will be participating.
- Common Current provided Blu Homes, a builder of custom homes, a development-wide greenhouse gas analysis as part of the Environmental Impact Report for a 14-unit housing project in Marin County, CA.
- Common Current is helping Ecocity Builders and its international network of advisors develop an International Ecocity Framework and Standards (IEFS).
- Common Current is working with city of Guangzhou, China on planning and strategy for a new Eco-District.
- For the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), Common Current is preparing a global sustainability management megacity executive training manual in conjunction with the leadership of the 2010 Shanghai World Expo
- Common Current provided organizational and development strategies for the new Asian Institute for Energy Environment & Sustainability, which is based at Seoul National University in Seoul, South Korea.
- Common Current is working with the David and Lucile Packard Foundation in
providing strategic sustainability analyses, programs and funding for communities.
- Common Current helped the U.S. Department of State (Economics, Trade and Global Issues office) provide expertise on green cities for government, business and non-governmental leaders in Korea through a US Embassy-sponsored visit by Common Current President Warren Karlenzig.
- IDEO, a major product and environmental design firm, recently drew upon Common Current's expertise on consumer recycling markets, regional consumer green household trends in an effort to assess new product demand opportunities.
- Common Current helped a major residential-retail-commercial real estate development corporation develop strategy and collateral related to the US Green Building Council's new LEED-ND (Neighborhood Development) standard.
- Common Current has worked with an international food and beverage company in development of strategy and procurement of renewable energy funding for facilities and operations.
- A community-focused sustainability non-profit is collaborating with Common Current on development of funding and support mechanisms, positioning and operational structure, as well as the hiring of a new executive director and advisory board.
- Warren led a sustainability strategy engagement with the State of California's Department of Conservation related to a statewide green city program.
- White House Office of Science and Technology: Eco-Industrial Park research and planning
- US EPA Futures Group: Development of Primer on Industrial Ecology
Global Green USA/US Department of Energy: Authored first edition of "Blueprint for Greening Affordable Housing" [PDF] case studies for developers on low-cost and no-cost approaches.